Burren Free Range Pork
Burren Free Range Pork
On their small traditional multi award winning farm, Kilfenora native Stephen Hegarty and his wife Eva, have a small herd of cattle and free range, rare breed, Saddleback pigs, hens, two donkeys, dogs and a cat. You can book to stay in their quirky glamping accommodation that sits right at the heart of the farm, in an area surrounded by archaeological sites, green rolling hills and rich heritage. They will introduce you to the animals and let you join in farm activities if you wish to do so. The couple are experienced local tour guides (in English, French and Swedish) and offer tailor made tour suggestions to maximise your experience in the Burren, by foot, bike or car.
The pigs are animals with a lot of character, reared in a great environment with extensive fields to roam and root in and a comfortable, warm shed for shelter when weather conditions are wet and cold as they sometimes are in Ireland! Their cattle are out-wintered according to the unique winter grazing system that goes back thousands of years in the Burren. In addition to the grass and roots that the pigs forage for, in the fields, they are also fed a lot of fruit and vegetables as well as a nutritious compound. Happy pigs produce delicious meat! The farm uses traditional farming methods and is completely chemical free.
When staying on the farm, you can enjoy meals freshly made with their own farm produce and locally sourced ingredients (breakfast, lunch or dinner) or you can purchase Burren Free Range Pork meats by visiting their farm by appointment.
- Sausages: The most popular 82% meat content sausage in packs of either 6 jumbos or 12 ordinary size, very meaty and rich in flavour, perfect for your breakfast, dinner or BBQ.
- Rashers: Back bacon or streaky rashers with a free range hen egg is a breakfast to die for, or an outstanding ingredient in a pasta dish for example
- Roasts: Shoulder or gigot joints, all have the rind on that will give you the most mouth watering crackling when roasted, also heavenly good is our pulled pork
- Mince: In packs of 1 kg makes the most delicious and juicy meatballs for example when mixed with a little bit of beef mince
- Chops: Succulent and juicy chops pan fried or roasted in the oven are an easy dinner option ready in just a few minutes
- Belly: The rind is left on it, so if you are a lover of crackling, score the rind then slow cook it – you’ll have the perfect joint for roasting and your dinner guests will ask for the recipe!
- Ribs: The ultimate comfort food, just a bit of salt and pepper and in they go, until the divine smell from the oven starts calling you – finger licking good!
- Ham: An all year favourite but make sure you get your order in for Christmas in time as we usually sell out early!
Home made condiments, made from our home grown vegetables to accompany the meats include:
- Onion jam
- Chilli Jam
- Courgette Relish
- Home-made Ketchup
- BBQ sauce for pulled pork
- Seasonal surplus vegetables from our kitchen garden or poly-tunnel and free range hen eggs are also for sale.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org